Saturday, December 27, 2008

Wind, Grills and Buttons

I can't believe how windy is it here today! I feel like I am in Chicago or something. Steven and I have had quite the eventful afternoon. We actually slept late and planned to lounge around today since I shopped until I dropped yesterday and Steven finished the second level of our deck. We were both exhausted. So, we lounged around this morning and by lunchtime I was craving a six inch turkey sub with tons of veggies so we headed to Subway for lunch, where I was satiated with exactly what I was desiring.

Then we came home and went out back to discover that these winds had knocked over Steven's pride and joy - his huge, new grill. Apparently the wind had blown the cover off of it, rolled it off of the first level of our deck and down to the second level and then knocked it over on its side. Steven was horrified when he saw it. He ran around like a banshee picking it up - I was no help, not being able to lift heavy stuff at this moment in this delicate situation - cleaning it up, washing it off. There was a dent in the front of it that he had to bang out with a mallet. It looks good as new now, though, thank goodness.

After the grill debacle, I went on the back screened in porch and was cleaning up back there when I noticed that we had a furry, dead visitor. A mouse. UGH! Steven had said a few weeks back that something kept chewing through our water hose and he suspected it was a mouse. We kept having to go buy new water hoses. So, Steven had put out some rat poison and low and behold....we got it! HA!

Other than that, I have just been cleaning, doing laundry and trying to organize today. I think it is supposed to be bad weather tonight, so it sounds like it will be a great night to stay in and watch a movie or something.

Oh, also Steven and Cicily and I went to see the Curious Case of Benjamin Button last night. I really liked it. In short, the movie centered around Benjamin, who was born as an old man and then ages in reverse. The movie is not only a love story but a story about all of the people that this Benjamin meets along his journey through life. He goes through many trials, many because of the was that he is, but he also experiences many, many joys in life. I loved all of the characters and I thought that all of the actors did a great job. I also appreciated the setting - New Orleans. I think the Big Easy provided a very romantic setting for this movie. And I loved the way they tied the movie into Hurricane Katrina. It also made me think - I love movies that make me think - about how different our lives would be if we grew young instead of old. It is hard to imagine the way that would change our perspective on things. Good movie!

No comments: